Sunday, January 15, 2006

Animal Activist

Do you think it is possible that a love of animals is hereditary? I know plenty of people who flat out hate dogs or cats.....and then there are people like my self, who love them. When I lived in Norman, Oklahoma, my friends sometimes referred to me as Saint Francis (of Assisi) because everyone knew that if they found a stray animal, they could dump it in my yard and when I got home, not only would I be excited to find a new pet but I would take it on as a personal challenge. I have found homes for so many pets, it is ridiculous. i have spayed, neutered, de-wormed, de-flead and fattened up more than my fair share. I have never had more than two of my own at a time, except for maybe when I was a child and our cat had kittens.At that point I think we had a dog and maybe 8 cats but that didn't last long. My father, is a sucker for dogs and cats as well.

So over the holidays, we were visiting my in-laws and they have a dog, but they don't treat animals the way that animals were treated in my family, not that that is bad! My family has a tendency to get pushed out of bed my their subordinate friends. They have this boxer, pictured above, that is a total spaz....But so sweet. He has to stay in an area of the hall that is blocked off on on end by the end of the hall where two doors close and at the other end is a cage. Fiona would go check on him and give him kisses. I swear in this picture he was telling her how to break him out!

She loves animals too. When she wakes up from nap, the first thing we do is check on Lucy, who is always napping on the left end of the couch. Dog was the first sign she learned in sign language and her third word. She adores Lucy, always wanting to cuddle, pet, climb on and kiss her.

Being just like her in this respect, it concerns me a little bit, because I have a scar on my nose from when I was about year or so older than her and my grandmother's Husky bit me. I lied and told everyone that I was climbing on the fireplace and fell off. Yes, I lied to keep the dog out of trouble and I still have a scar 28 + years later. I also have a scar from a cat bite on my lip and a lizard on my nose. The point is, I have always been very affectionate towards my animals....Apparently too affectionate, I suppose and I don't want her to end up with scars all over her for the same reason.

Thank dog Lucy is so patient!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home