Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Best for breast


I was watching the news the other day and they were talking about how Portland was rated the best or one of the best ( I couldn't hear all of it b/c someone was screaming in my ear) places to breastfeed. I am happy with the recent trends in breastfeeding. I am not sure if it the fact that a lot of women are having babies at an older age and frankly could care less what you think about them popping their boob out in front of you or if we are just a stronger group who refuse to be intimidated by people's glares and rude comments or if we are just better informed. Either way, it is a wonderful NATURAL act.

I get really frustrated with the negative attention that sometimes surrounds breastfeeding in public. It is absolutely preposterous to say that breastfeeding is indecent. Personally, I think that Howard Stern is indecent. I also think it is indecent when I see a 14 year old girls with her thong or butt crack hanging out of the top of her jeans, or most of the outfits I see in music videos these days, the new song by the Black Eyed Peas, or my 11 year old brother playing video games in which he is murdering people, stealing cars and picking up hookers, that is indecent..... I could go on and on. Let's face it, there is a lot of indecency in the world today. Breastfeeding may make some of you uncomfortable but I doubt a topless beach would.

I have rarely had to breastfeed in public b/c I am usually within walking distance of my home, but when Fiona was very little and couldn't wait 10 minutes, it had to happen. I would rather see women breastfeeding whenever possible than wasting their hard earned money on formula. If you can, why not. I have friends who have had trouble with it and that is totally understandable. I don't condemn those who aren't able to do it, but I think it is something that should be supported by the community. After all, it is allowing the kids a better start at life and creating a bond between mother and child that cannot compare to anything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home