Thursday, March 29, 2007

Does Globalization = Greed?






I was out running errands today while listening to NPR. They were discussing globalization and it's effect on our economy, workforce, etc. It really made me think. As a small business owner who produces a (self) manufactured good, I understand wanting to outsource the labor to a cheaper workforce. We live in a country where so many companies have their products manufactured overseas...........China comes to mind..............that is hard for the independent businesses to compete with the prices. Think Wal-Mart, Target, ROSS, Marshall's, Mervyns, Big Lots. There are discount stores everywhere. These stores set a standard for those of us do not have a the means to purchase everything we own from Sak's, Neimans or higher end department stores.

I set my prices as competitively as I can and still make nearly nothing (sometimes not even minimum wage) on each baby sling.....AND I have people tell me all the time that they can't afford to pay what I charge. What is someone in my position to do? Well, I am not sure, but I do know that I will probably have to raise my prices, thus eliminating even more of the potential baby sling buyers, so that I am able to compensate myself enough to justify taking time away from my family. However, I will not send work overseas or hire an illegal and pay them a fraction of what their time and work are worth. Sending work overseas may produce a cheaper bottom line, but it does not necessarily mean that the product is of the same quality, or that the person producing it is being paid a fair wage or being treated ethically. How could I morally send work to another country when there is unemployment in my own country?

Ultimately, it comes down to how deep I want my pockets to be, right? Well, fortunately for me, being kind and fair is more important than padding my pockets. I may not be a practicing (and by this I mean church going) Christian. I am not even sure that I would be considered a Christian at all, but I do believe in karma and the golden rule. I know that when I behave nicely, am considerate to those around me, treat others how I would like to be treated and am conscious of my impact on the planet, I receive the same respect in return. There is much more to life than how much money I take to the grave. I wish more people realized that. It breaks my heart to see my country and all of the ulterior motives......truly sad. We should be ashamed that we allow and support people who behave so awfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home